Strain Measurement Methodology for Circuit Board Assembly: Guide
Most manufacturers now use strain gauges to monitor board flexure. There are many different strain measurement methods in use. The results from different methods usually cannot be compared. Intel has published its strain method, and is determining strain guidance for many of its ball grid array (BGA) components and sockets. This will help manufacturers know what strain levels show a risk for BGA components and sockets.
This document will enable manufacturers to compare strain results to the Intel strain guidance by creating a strain report. Several steps are required to make a reliable strain report and are explained in detail:
• Prepare test boards by mounting strain gauges in specified locations
• Identify all assembly steps that may cause flexure
• Measure the strain during these assembly steps
• Identify the maximum strain values
• Make a report showing the maximum strain values and the strain guidance
Read the full Strain Measurement Methodology for Circuit Board Assembly: Guide.